Monday, February 21, 2011

Trip to the Dentist


So today was one of those days as I Mom I would love to forget.  Everyone knows that Connor is very outgoing and headstrong.  For the most part he just does what he wants to do.  This can be good and bad.  Well, today was a BAD day.  Connor had his second dentist appointment of his life.  The first was about a year and a half ago and it did not go very well.  Luckily, at that appointment all they wanted to do was count his teeth.  A few months ago Connor was playing at the park and hit his two front teeth on a bar.  They are now gray and basically dead.  I know that there is not much to do for them but we still should get xrays of them.  So about a month ago I made an appointment for him to see a local family dentist in Coronado.  I specifically asked if they were good with children because of our first experience.  They assured me that they were.  So we have been prepping for this for a week now and I thought we were all ready.  So we show up for our appointment and there is a little kid table with three toys and a few books for the kids.  Not the picture I was thinking with the kid friendly aspect.  No one in the waiting room was under 85 years old either.  Connor played while I filled out papers and he was great.  Then the next thing I hear is Connor Wray.  And he starts to get nervous.  I stood up and walked towards the nice lady calling my sons name.  We all walk back to her area.  Then he freaks!!!  He does not want to sit in the chair he starts screaming and yelling.  He finally sits down when tempted with the TV on the ceiling but then she put the light in his eyes and he lost it again.  I even gave him my sunglasses but he was not having it.  So after 25 minutes of me trying to talk to him and get stern with him we left the dentist office.  Nothing was done in his mouth!!
I have never been so angry, embarrassed and humiliated in my life.  The ladies that  worked there tried to make me feel better telling me similar stories with there kids but I was so mad I didn’t hear what they said.  They gave me the name of a specialist for his two front teeth and we left.  I basically ran to the car with him to put him in his seat before I lost it.  I was in tears over the whole event.  Why does he do this??  He claims that when the hygienist put on her mask and glasses he thought she looked like a monster.  I am not sure if that was just quick thinking so I would not yell or what. 
So Dad gets to go next time.  Oh, the fun of motherhood!!